Monday, September 10, 2012

Reduce, Reuse, Refurbish

After I upgrade to a new cell phone I tend to keep the old one around in a drawer somewhere, unused. It's good to keep one around as backup in case your new phone breaks at any point, but keeping 3 old ones around doesn't make any sense. They're essentially going to waste. However! There are two options that I know of for putting your phone to good use. 
  1. Cell phone collection bins: donate your old phone to a collection box so it can be reused as an emergency phone by someone else who cannot afford one or simply doesn't want one. I know I post about Whole Foods a lot so I really wish that I had a picture of the collection box at the local public library, but it was in too difficult of a location to get! So basically they are in lots of places, but I know for sure that there is one in the public library by the door on the first floor, and one at Whole Foods just inside the Out door. For a change (since Whole Foods also collects everything else) try the library!
  2. Some companies buy back old phones. I shattered my iPhone, and when I went into the Sprint store to get a new one they bought back my shattered one (and saved me 70 bucks on my new one!!!) Once they buy it back they refurbish it (make it like new again) and resell it for a discounted price. Pretty cool! And it was an absolute life saver for me. I am not sure which companies do this, but Sprint will make your day for sure! Ask your service provider if you don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment