Thursday, July 26, 2012

Composting IS Exciting


I was at Boston Common this week and my brother and I thirstily stumbled upon the Clover Food Lab food truck. Before we saw their menu we saw that the side of the truck said that 100% of its waste was compostable. I thought, "Wow, that's really awesome!" We ordered a honey lemonade that hit the spot, but then I realized, "Hey! This is in a plastic cup! That's not compostable!" But upon further inspection, I discovered I was wrong. Right on the cup it said it was made of 100% plant materials so it was 100% compostable. This cup-making company even plants trees to counteract its carbon emissions, giving it a virtual carbon footprint of ZERO. Awesome! So I took the cup home and looked up both the food truck company, Clover, and the cup company, World Centric. The more I read the more I got excited.

Clover emphasizes simplicity in its products and tries its best to use fresh, local, organic ingredients. Rock on! They have permanent locations around Boston and Cambridge so check them out. Here's a link to their website: http://www.cloverfoodlab.com/, as well as a link to a blog post reviewing Clover. http://www.meghaneatslocal.com/2012/06/clover-food-lab-fast-food-experiment.html

World Centric's website is full of great stuff that got me so excited I haven't even finished looking through it yet. Their company philosophy and values are amazingly eco-friendly and just awesome. They sell all kinds of compostable products and donate 25% of their profits to great causes. So have a look around and explore. Maybe buy a compostable toothbrush, a compostable waste bag, or suggest that your work/school/camp cafeteria switch over to use some of their products. Or, having a cook out and don't wanna do the dishes? Get compostable servery instead of styrofoam and plastic! The plates and things don't have to be just for cafeterias. http://www.worldcentric.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment