Thursday, July 12, 2012

Coffee, Coffee, Coffee

I was in Starbucks and realized that despite the fact that their main product comes in highly recyclable plastic/paper cups, they do not supply recycling bins. As an avid recycler, this struck me as very odd. So, as I walked out carrying my empty cup (to recycle at home, of course) I considered talking to someone at the store about the issue. I looked online at their website for some sort of contact information, but instead I found this: http://www.starbucks.com/responsibility/environment/recycling. A page all about how Starbucks has made efforts to recycle but struggled. But on this page I also learned that if you bring in a thermos or mug when you order your coffee, they'll not only fill it but also give you a $0.10 discount. How cool is that? And, if you're not rushing off to work or school and are planning to enjoy your drink in store, be sure to ask for one of their own ceramic, highly reusable mugs! I'm sure many people go into places like this every morning, so cutting down on the number of cups used could make a huge difference. In after thought, I also realized that Starbucks was not unique. Most stores that I could think of don't have recycling. Therefore, whenever possible, I'm going to make a conscious effort to bring my empty cups home with me, or at least to a location that has recycling (my school, for example). And who knows, maybe other coffee shops will fill up your thermos too! Its probably worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment