Friday, August 24, 2012

A Rant About Spoons


Last week I went to a day camp where I had to bring a lunch, and we didn't have access to a cafeteria. Therefore, I packed my lunch in reusable containers, brought silverware from my kitchen, and used an ice pack to keep it all cold before and after I ate it. However, being the forgetful person that I am, I didn't pack a spoon for my yogurt and applesauce on two of the days. Since there was no plastic spoons available to me from a Cafe I asked my friends if I could use theirs. On both days, two different girls ever so kindly gave me a spoon. However, both girls gave me plastic spoons, and didn't ask for them back. They're my friends, and I am not picking on them personally, but I am picking on their habits because they are very common. It's one thing to use a plastic utensil because you bought lunch from a cafeteria and don't want to just carry around a spoon all day. However, if you are bringing you lunch from home, why not just pack a utensil from your drawer? If you have leftover containers that you have to bring back home anyways, why not bring your spoon back home too? Why is it necessary for you to have a supply of plastic utensils in your home so that you can use a new one every day? Bringing an actual spoon is just so easy and logical! This interaction at camp was such a simple and innocent one, but it makes me so confused and frustrated! When it comes to food the average person is just so blissfully thoughtless about what they do. So, what should you be getting out of this rant? Just rethink what you are packing for lunch, and how you pack it. Fixing your habits will be so easy! Try to produce as little waste as possible, and try to make everything reusable. I promise that using silverware will not be any harder than using plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment