Friday, August 10, 2012

Feed the Birds

My family has always been big on feeding the birds. The feeders attract all kinds of birds with all kinds of personalities, so it's always entertaining to look out the window and watch. I remember once my friend came over and couldn't believe how many birds there were. It made me realize how effective the little feeders were in attracting the animals. This is important because part of a healthy environment is a large amount of biodiversity. Deforestation and settlement significantly lower the forest area and therefore lower the food supply for the birds, and possibly puts them in danger. We don't want to make these species extinct, we want them to continue to thrive. Now, obviously there are other factors that I am not considering, but I would say that food is pretty important. A couple feeders in one yard won't do a whole lot, but one feeder in every yard might. So head down to your local hardware store or garden store and pick up a bird feeder. If you don't want to stick a pole in your ground get a window feeder, or put one on a hanging plant hook. There's plenty of options. My mom buys her birdseed right at the grocery store so she can shop for them and the family all in one trip. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment